Thursday, December 13, 2007

WTF?

So tonight while was at my church advent service I received a phone call from a church in Thousand Oaks where I had a second interview at a week ago (the first was a phone interview and the second in person). I was informed that I did not get the job, despite the fact that the pastor and search committee "loved my compassion for youth" and "thought I would be a great youth pastor,"yet there were some on the board and in session(a word meaning the old people who run a Presbyterian Church) who did not think I "fit what a youth pastor should be like." The person went on to explain how the people of the church were set in their ways and I didn't fit their "idea of what or who a youth pastor should be like." What the F#@$! Next time maybe I should cut my hair short cut off my beard and wear clothes from Express and not say things like "the Church should be about more than caring for itself. It should be about caring for the needs of those in its community, like the day labors who get paid unfair wages who live 10 minutes from this church." Maybe then I will have a job? I am just so tired of looking for a job in the Church! Sometimes I wonder why I event want to work in the Church?
Then I remember how my current church staff reacted to when I told them what the church said, they were about as upset and discussed by the church as I was, and I remember there are people in the Church that care about the Kingdom of God and love Jesus and want to wrestle with what it means to be the Church. Thank you to all those who love.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

you obviously don't want to work for a church like that anyway. why don't you apply in Utah?

Garret said...

wtf is right... it seems that the church is looking more like america than the church.